Monday, May 05, 2008

The Empire Strikes Barack

B linked to this cute [and nicely made] fan video of Barack Obama -- more fun to watch if you know the star wars canon.



Well, the video is nice, but personally, I am amazed at how this guy (who has so far managed to not let any manufactured petty distraction stick on him) is actually feeling the heat right now. I have seen his poll numbers drop in South Carolina and Indiana, and somehow Hillary Clinton's claim that he is an out-of-touch elitist are seeming to stick, nevermind the fact that all 3 candidates are super-rich people. Also weird is the fact that her gimmicky idea of "no gas tax from people, only from companies" is finding favor with people -- while his straight point of this being a political solution for a serious problem is not getting received by the people! Do they really think that the gas companies will NOT pass on the costs to their consumers?

The Obama campaign had given me hope. No, I am not talking about the general hope of America becoming a better place and somehow getting away from its current place where its seen as a hypocritical bully all over the world. I had hoped that in a country where freedom of speech is sacrosanct, and people are educated enough to read newspapers, a candidate's truthfulness and genuineness may be able to defeat the petty mudslinging that is the elections game. Now, I must confess that my hope has been shaken -- 'coz somehow the electorate does not seem to understand.

Let's see how this one plays out, and whether my hopes are shattered or met.
P.S. For more on what I am talking about, see this daily show clip.

No comments:

Post a Comment