As you might know, I am in India nowadays for my brother's wedding. Things, as usual, are very hectic, and I am writing this on my phone on the way to Chennai airport to pick up some guests who are coming for tomorrow morning's wedding ceremony.
Here is a set of disconnected observations and thoughts I wanted to share with you all. Let me know if you have any thoughts.
* weddings and other big family events are a wonderful occasion for family members to meet each other, some after many years. And when you meet your cousins after a long break, it does not take long to re-make that bond.
* The subway sandwich shop in Chennai has separate counters for veg and non-veg subs. And all halal meat. And no beef or pork. I just had an Italian BMT with chicken ham and mutton pepperoni. :)
* mosquitoes are evil.
* The streets of Patna are much safer now.
* I have lost my conditioning to the constant honking. Or maybe I never had it, having grown up in a walled campus and gone to college in another.
* Getting your blackheads removed hurts.
* BSNL 3G SIM cards will not work in Delhi or Mumbai. In Chennai, 3G will work but voice will not.
* Indian vodafone "zoozoo" ads are cool. Look for them on youtube.
* Indian soap operas are terrible. And addictive to parents :-(
* you cannot carry spare batteries in your carry on baggage.
* carrying an episode of Bones on your laptop is a great help on cheap domestic flights.
* It is hard to get attendees in a party to start dancing, but once it happens, it is great fun. Yes, photos and videos will be posted ;-). Also, remember to make some lemonade with salt and sugar to rehydrate if you plan to dance like a madman at your brother's pre-wedding party. :)
* Family _is_ the most important thing.
Getting ready to leave in a wedding procession at 5:30 tomorrow morning,
--sent from my Google HTC Magic--