Wednesday, January 02, 2008

My Stead-"fast" New-Year Resolution

Yeah yeah, I know, most new year resolutions get broken soon, but hey, Jan 1 is as good a day as any other to start a changed attitude towards life - right?

So, I went to my office today, and worked on a paper [hopefully the rest of the year will be productive too :-)]. Also, like nearly everyone else, I decided to do something this year that would lead to a more healthy "me".

No no, not the kind that makes you lose money in a Gym, and yes - I am going to approach this like a man, by setting specific goals :-).

So, here goes -- Starting Jan 2008, I will observe a fast on the first Wednesday of each month. I will drink water, and lots of it, but not anything else. I will eat one meal at night, and try to keep it as less processed as possible. That surely qualifies for a 24 hour period without food. If it goes well, I may make it more frequent [the article above says once a week is ok].

The idea is to give my digestive system some rest, and time to recover from the constant onslaught that passes for food in the life of a grad. student in America :-).

So yeah - tomorrow is day 1 - let's see how it goes.
-A
P.S. I guess I decided to hedge my bets and adopt the woman's approach [read/hear NPR article above] to keeping new year's resolutions as well -- my roommate Karthik will also be fasting once a month :-).

2 comments:

  1. Hey, very brave of you indeed to not just decide for fasting as a New Year resolution, but also declare it on your blog! Do keep us posted how the adventure goes... especially since another resolution seems to be research productivity! :)
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:04 PM

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete