Friday, August 01, 2008

Welcome, and Thanks for your Laptop

I saw a link to this Washington Post article about how the US govt can take your laptop indefinitely at the border without any proof of wrongdoing. [ref: /. ]

Federal agents may take a traveler's laptop or other electronic device to an off-site location for an unspecified period of time without any suspicion of wrongdoing, as part of border search policies the Department of Homeland Security recently disclosed.

Also, officials may share copies of the laptop's contents with other agencies and private entities for language translation, data decryption or other reasons, according to the policies, dated July 16 and issued by two DHS agencies, U.S. Customs and Border Protection and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
I had commented about this in the past also.

Don't say I never warned you ;).

-A
P.S. some people have claimed how making a copy of your harddrive was only like "looking" at the shirts in your suitcase, but I guess this one definitely qualifies as stealing/taking/robbing-me-of my shirt!

1 comment:

  1. I agree, it sure is robbing oneself of their shirt....not a good way to combat a self created monster - "Terror Web"....but a pretty darn good way to harass innocent people.

    ReplyDelete