Friday, March 10, 2006

The Banarasi Spirit Lives!

My Siddharth bhaiya pointed me to this news, and what a news item it is!

TOI [and others] are reporting about a candle light procession taken out by shopkeepers in Varanasi to protest against the bomb blasts. The article also talks about how the vigilance of a vendor saved people from the third bomb!

I must confess that my eyes welled with tears seeing people from all communities in the pictures above. I am so relieved to see the show of solidarity from all communities. This is a clear signal to all the disruptive forces that this attack is clearly a "terrorist" activity, and not a communal one.

I hope the students of ITBHU also organize a procession of this sort to show solidarity with the people of the great city of Varanasi.

This reminds me of:

"Kuch baat hai ki hasti mit-ti nahin hamaari
Sadiyon raha hai dushman, daure zamaan hamaara!"

Long live the spirit of the people.

a little overwhelmed with emotion,
Animesh
Update: Arvind points me to this NDTV article about BHU students and secularism.

2 comments:

  1. yes, my emotions were pretty similar to yours on seeing these pics .. tears of happiness and pride .. for being an indian .. and a banarasi .. where ppl have this kind of spirit and solidarity .. no doubt it is the oldest living city in the world ! it deserves to be ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:01 PM

    IIRC, its "daure zamaan hamaara" towards the end of the couplet.

    ReplyDelete