Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Which part of "do not reply" do you not get?

As seen on /., the Washington Post has an interview with the owner of donotreply.com, where he tells about the variety of emails he gets due to people clicking reply to emails which are not meant to be replied to, and the companies concerned using something@donotreply.com as opposed to noreply@companydomain.com as the return address in their automated emails. He has started to post the interesting ones, and charges in donation-to-animal-care-charities to remove that data.

Interestingly enough, I get about one email a week at my animesh@gmail ID, meant for some other animesh. I have thus far received personal contact emails, company salary spreadsheets, bank account statements, college admission letters, and bio-data of girls whose brothers thought that this was the email address of the guy who they met with the other day. I wonder if it is the Animeshs who are giving the wrong ID, or junta who is not paying attention. In any case, I usually respond with a "sorry, wrong Animesh" and my website link. What would you do?

1 comment:

  1. keep the 'good' bio-data for further perusal :P

    ReplyDelete